Utilizamos cookies propias y de terceros para mejorar la experiencia de navegación y ofrecer contenidos y servicios de interés.
Al continuar con la navegación, entendemos que se acepta nuestra política de cookies.

Surface area, population and parishes

The built-up area of the town, which extends both sides of the primitive Roman settlement on the headland of Santa Catalina, occupies an approximate surface area of 13.9 sq km -which supposes 7.6% of the surface area of the Borough- concentrating 90% of the population, which in total adds up to approximately 280,000 inhabitants. The remaining 10% of the population is distributed over the 25 parishes of the Borough.

The rural parishes of Gijón/Xixón have a double calling: on the one hand industrial, those which have been absorbed into the outskirts of the metropolis and the large industrial facilities that are located in the western quarter of the borough, such as Fresno, Granda, Jove/Xove, Puao, Porceyo, Roces, San Andrés de los Tacones, Tremañes, Vega and Veriña.


And on the other, residential and space and leisure service providers, like those of Castiello Bernueces, Cabueñes, Deva, Santurio or Somió , which consitute the eastern end of the municipality.

Plus those that maintain their undeniable agricultural vocation, like Valdornón, Caldones, L'Abadía Cenero, Fano, Samartín de Güerces, Llavandera, La Pedrera, Leorio/Llorio, Ruedes and Serín, which are further away from the urban environs.